Thursday, March 27, 2003

Worldandnation: Quiet ahead of the unknown

Worldandnation: Quiet ahead of the unknown: "Spc. Patrick Scrogin, 24, of Moberley, Mo., has some questions for his boss, Sgt. Maj. Richard Montcalm, 44, of Jacksonville. Montcalm is the highest-ranking enlisted man in the 2nd Battalion of the 327th Infantry. These are his troops he will lead to battle, and this will be Scrogin's first time. He wants assurance that Delta Company, which provides the battalion's mightiest firepower, with its .50-caliber machine guns and antitank missiles, will be on the job. 'Are you worried about something?' Montcalm asks. 'I'm scared, sergeant major.' 'It's healthy to be nervous,' Montcalm says. 'Scared is when you can't control your fear.' 'I can control my fear. What I f----- up is I looked at the picture of my wife and kids.' Sgt. Shawn Scott, 34, of Piney Flats, Tenn., has been listening. He is Scrogin's friend. 'I know, and I'm not going to do it,' Scott tells him. He served here during Desert Storm and he is very cool. 'What's really bad is I miss my dogs, too.' 'I miss my dogs, too,' Scrogin says, 'but I miss my Jeep more.' They steer the talk to dogs and cars. Lighter things, for a heavy night. 'I am going to get some rest, and I suggest you do the same,' Montcalm says. He walks into the dark. Scrogin speaks again. 'I heard Delta Company was going to leave us if we stop.' Scott scuffs the sand. It is time to get some rest. They move out in three hours."

No comments: